Monday, May 5, 2014

Why the Oyster Mushroom Didn't Fruit


These aren't the first mushrooms I've tried to grow. I have failed and succeeded with mushroom cultivation before; but this is the first Pleurotus in a bag...that failed.


1. Not enough air exchange
Honestly, I was unprepared to grow these. Even though they are deemed as "easy to grow", but it wasn't you mushroom, it was me. I didn't have a proper place to fruit these mushrooms at the time and the weather out was too cold and dry for them to have accomplished any fruiting. So with the only materials I had at the time I mustered up a plastic box humidity chamber. But oh problems: the box didn't fit the bag of aggressively colonizing mycelia. There was little air space between the fungi and the walls. The filtered holes in the box were not enough for adequate air exchange. There was barely enough space for the oyster to extend its pins and comfortably fruit.

2. Not enough light
The location of the fruiting chamber was in a spare room used as storage with only one dim lamp for light. So that's all I used. Like I said before, all my fault.

3. Dip in humidity
In a sad attempt to increase airflow, I pointed a fan towards the box from 4 ft away. Several hours later I find a very dry humidity chamber with some slightly dehydrated looking fungi. At least this happened after day 5 of unsuccessful fruiting. By then I had already given up on indoor fruiting and made sure to reprimand myself for my half ass efforts.


But thankfully, this bag of mycelium didn't have to go to waste. By the time I had finished at failing my fruits, the weather got a bit warmer and we got some rain. Enough to reproduce the suitable conditions for this Oyster and get me plate full of shrooms!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post! This explains exactly what happened to my latest batch of oysters. Next time, I will let them breath.

    ReplyDelete